Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Stairs!


Our stairs are, for the most part, in! We need to finish two of them and then do the railing, but you can get an idea of what they look like. These were essentially a gift from my dad. He bought the wood and spent weeks finishing them offsite at his shop in big Lake. Another big thanks to Dad for all the help on the house! They are very stout, made from solid Ash with a mahogany inlay. You can really jump on the cantilevered portion with no worries.

Here's a closeup and also a new angle of our great room to show how the loft hangs above the kitchen and everything integrates together.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awesome job on the stairs! Where did your dad get the ash and mahogany for them?

Andrew said...

Hey Justin, I was just thinking about you and went to your website (nothing here..)

He got the Ash in the valley, a guy sells it there. Maybe you know him? I think the Mahogany too, but it was left over from the hydroplane. We actually got the skirtboard here in fairbanks, it's also ash, just no finish on it yet so it looks lighter. I like the ash, good to work with, super hard, and not extremely expensive.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful! What a great Dad you have! I knew I chose well in my co-parent. Ever grateful for that! Your home is exquisite! I'm planning to visit it again the first week in June, so hold me a space. Hee.

Kara Stenberg said...

I am enamored with your stairs. I have enjoyed following your blog because I work in an office of designers and architects and so hear lots of rants about how with a little effort, everyones homes (and all of town) could look so much better and be so much more efficicent. Its heartening to see you guys doing just that. :)

Deb and Dan said...

Wow to the stairs. Your dad did a great job. Will be nice to see it with the railings in. Great pictures especially the one that shows the stairs, kitchen and part of the loft.
Thanks for the update. Love Mom and Dad

Anonymous said...

Sweet Mother those are gorgeous.