Saturday, August 16, 2008

Day 3, 9pm

Long day.

We finished sheathing the entire exterior and spent the rest of the day getting ready for roof sheathing by framing the roof overhangs on the gable ends and attaching the fascia board on all four sides. This is all a very time consuming project because the fascia is one thing this early in the project that is actually visible so it has to fit nicely.


Also, I joined the something like 30,000 people per year and sustained the classic American construction injury: I shot myself with a nail gun. The safety devices prevent what people usually imagine like shooting yourself in the head or leg straight on. I did what's more common: I had my hand too close when shooting into a board and the nail bent 90 degrees inside the wood because of a knot and shot out the side into my hand, right between the thumb and forefinger. It only hurt because there isn't much flesh there and the 1/8" penetration was enough to hit the bone. Also a big of tendon seems to have come out the hole. It made Marcy squirm both before and after I showed her.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

When was the last time Andrew had a tetanus shot?

~Jess

P.S. I think you should post a gross picture of your injury, so the rest of us can enjoy the Gross-outs" along with Marcy.

Anonymous said...

Hmmm, I remember riding my bike back from the clinic. So I was old enough to go get a shot by myself and too young to drive. Maybe 15 years ago? But I'm not too worried about tetanus. What I can't figure out though is why my jaw is so stiff!

Just kidding. Actually tetanus probably wouldn't come from a fresh nail. It's a bacteria that lives in the ground and can enter the body when someone steps on a rusty nail.

Kara Stenberg said...

Uuuuugggghhhhhh....*faints*